Bolitho Skeggs & Bratt Mortgages Penzance

Local and Independent Mortgage Advice

Bolitho Skeggs & Bratt take so much pride in helping people like you achieve their financial goals.

Being an independent mortgage advisor is something we are incredibly proud of and unlike your bank or 'tied' agent, we have access of the entire range of products and services available in the financial marketplace.

A fair majority of our business comes from personal recommendation from our many satisfied clients.

We spend a considerable amount of time getting to know our customers and understanding their situation. We feel this allows us to offer specialist advice which is key when making a suitable recommendation.

Lindsay Bratt and Paul Skeggs have over 50 years experience within the financial services industry, accumulating a wealth of valuable knowledge in an ever-changing marketplace.

Bolitho Skeggs & Bratt Mortgages Penzance

Lindsay Bratt

Bolitho Skeggs & Bratt Mortgages Penzance

Paul Skeggs

Your Personal Protection

Bolitho Skeggs & Bratt will always endeavour to ensure the products recommended are suitable to you. When providing advice from our range of regulated products, you potentially have the protection of the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) and the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).

Should you be unhappy about the service or advice you have received you should firstly contact us, being the firm that provided the advice and service. By doing this provides us with the opportunity to rectify the situation and to provide a record of our own events. Should you remain dissatisfied you will be entitled to refer your complaint to the FOS who will investigate the complaint independently and make a ruling. The FOS work with customers and financial advisers to resolve a complaint, and when they do have to make a ruling it is binding upon the firm.

Should you wish to register a complaint against Bolitho, Skeggs & Bratt, our contact details can be found on this website.

A summary of our complaints handling procedures for reasonable and prompt handling of complaints is available on request and if you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the FOS at financial.ombudsman.org.uk or by contacting them on 0800 023 4567.

Should you try to submit a complaint to a firm that is dissolved or unable to meet its obligations, you may have recourse to the FSCS. This service is funded by levies on firms that are authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to protect customers where firms have closed and not trading.

Get in touch with us today and we'd be happy to help you with your buildings or contents insurance. Just head on over to our Contact page now and fill out the form. We look forward to hearing from you!